Monday, April 18, 2011

Money and Time Saving Meal!

For all you preggers out there, busy moms, and just busy people in general that don't have time prepare glamorous meals each night of the week, this tip is for you! I have finally embraced the magic that is bulk cooking and freezing. Before you read more, go check out my sister-in-law Karis' post about freezing meat here, she is always great at giving you a hearty serving of humor and practicality.

Right now I am loving using this recipe to make my own taco meat and freezing all the portions. Then, when I need one for a meal, I just thaw and throw together a meal! One of my favorite recipes to use with the taco meat is the old faithful Taco Pie. Last week I whipped up two of these to bring to some friends who just had a baby and it was quick, easy, and free (because I had the ingredients). Here is how I make mine:

Taco Pie

1 serving taco meat (about 1.5 lbs pre-cooked and seasoned)
1 can crescent rolls
1 pkg sour cream
about 1/4 cup salsa (optional)
2 handfulls of crushed tortilla chips
a few handfulls of shredded cheese (cheddar, colby, mexican blend...whatever you have on hand)

Spread crescents covering the bottom of a pie pan (sprayed with pam). Sprinkle handfull of crushed tortilla chips over crescents. Next, add cooked meat. Mix together sour cream and salsa (so good) and spread over the taco meat. Sprinkle cheese over sour cream mixture and top with more crushed tortilla chips. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment